Cyprus Residency

A resident of Cyprus is defined by a person that resides in the country for 183 days a year.

The day of departure and arrival to the destination outside of Cyprus is considered as a day in Cyprus. Inversely, the day of arrival to Cyprus from a foreign destination is considered as a day outside of the county. 

The legal requirements for visiting or staying in Cyprus depend on citizenship - European Union (EU) or non-European Union (EU) citizen - reason for entry into Cyprus and the intended duration of the stay.
Citizens of the EU and EEA (which includes Switzerland, Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway) may enter Cyprus using their valid EU passport or photo ID Card. Dependants of EU citizens who are not EU citizens themselves, may require an entry visa.

Under the EU Directive 2004/38/EC, residence permits are abolished for European Union citizens within EU countries.  However, Member States may require them to register with the competent authorities within a period of not less than three months as from the date of arrival.
This does not apply because Cyprus still requires that EU citizens register with the immigration department, if you stay longer than three months.

Registration Certificate and Residence Card

Proof of registration is issued immediately in the form of an Aliens Registration Card, for which an adminstration fee of 43EUR cash is charged. The documentary evidence of that registration is the yellow form. You should receive your yellow permit for temporary residency  within six months of submitting the application.
Nationals of any Member State who move to Cyprus in order to pursue activity as employed persons are granted a residence permit.  The residence permit is valid for not less than five (5) years from the date of issue and it is effective throughout the territory of the Republic.  It is automatically renewable upon the request of the person concerned.
Application for the residence permit, the Registration Certificate, must be requested within four months of the date entry into Cyprus. It can be made at the same time and location as the ARC registration. Proof of employment or adequate finances is needed, and if not employed proof of health insurance is essential. Application must be made in person.

Application forms for a Registration Certificate can be obtained from the Civil Registry and Migration Department of the Ministry of Interior and in areas such as the local Immigration Branch of the Police.

Application form MEU1 for citizens of the EU and their EU-citizen family members:
Cyprus Residency Application Form – EU members

Application form MEU2 for citizens of non EU countries, who are family members of EU citizens:
Cyprus Residency Application Form – non EU members

The "pink slip"/"yellow slip"

The Residence Certificate, commonly referred to as the "pink slip" (although the document is yellow), is said to be issued within six months of application (many wait longer). Note that there may be no notification that it is ready and a office will expect the applicant to go in person and find out. It is recommended to find out about this at the point of application.

Below follow a few contact offices for residency permit administration:

Immigration Offices
Contact for Cyprus Residency Purposes:

Nicosia - Tel: 22 802 334
Limassol - Tel: 25 805 200
Larnaca - Tel: 24 804 242
Paphos - Tel: 26 806 200
Famagusta - Tel: 23 803 020
Passport Control Centre, Larnaca Airport - Tel: 24 804 342
Passport Control Centre, Paphos Airport - Tel: 26 806 256

Note: a residence permit is not required to begin working in Cyprus - an EU national may begin work while the residency paperwork is still in process - however the employer and employee may be fined if application for the Registration Certificate is never made. 
Find more details in „Social Contributions” section.

Documents required for Cyprus Residency Application:

The application for MEU1 (for EU citizens) must be completed and submitted with the following documents:
  1. Employed and self-employed:
  2. Valid passport or photo ID document; and copies.
  3. Certificate of employment or confirmation of engagement by the employer, or if self-employed, certificate of registration with the social security services
  4. Two recent passport photographs
Before moving to Cyprus to open a business and provide services it is recommended to check if any professional permits are necessary for the activity. If so, certificates and documents needed to verify qualifications must be provided.

Retired, non working:

A person retiring to Cyprus, or not working in Cyprus must show that they have:

  1. Adequate income from legal sources such as pension, employment outside of Cyprus or another means to support themselves.
  2. Proof of funds in a Cyprus or overseas bank.
  3. Proof of comprehensive health insurance.
"In order to come in line with EU law, there are changes underway. EU citizens and pensioners who have the E121 form are entitled to the same state provided healthcare and medication at state hospital facilities as Cypriot citizens.
To qualify for these benefits, you should notify your change of residence to your pension authorities before you leave and ask for Form E121 from the health authorities in the country you are moving from. The form should be handed to the relevant authorities in the country to which you move."


In addition to the passport or identity documents and two passport-sized photographs, students are required to show:
  1. Proof of their enrolment in a university or college.
  2. Proof of comprehensive health insurance
  3. Proof (by declaration) of financial resources
Family Members

Family members include a spouse, children aged under 21, other dependents and a spouse's dependents, and any direct family members. An application fee is payable at the time of submission along with a fee for each family member. A person not making the application for residency will be fined.

Application form MEU1 for EU-citizen family members:
Cyprus Residency Family Members – EU member

Application form MEU2 for non-EU citizen family members of an EU citizen:
Cyprus Residency Family Members – EU member

EU family members

Where an EU-citizen's family also carry EU passports, the following documents must be provided along with the completed application form MEU1 (for EU citizens):
  1. Valid passport or identity card, and several copies.
  2. Proof of the family relationship (certified copies of marriage certificate and children's birth certificates).
  3. Family members that are not dependants must show proof of a serious medical condition which leaves them completely dependent
  4. If it has been issued, the Registration Certificate of the EU-citizen family member already residing in Cyprus
  5. Two passport-sized photos
Non-EU spouse and children: application for Residence Card

The Residence Card is issued to the non-EU family members of EU citizens moving to Cyprus. Application must be made within four months of the date of entry.
Family members of EU citizens who are not EU citizens themselves should provide the following with a competed application form MEU2 (for non-EU family members of EU citizens):
  1. Valid passport with visa if applicable (and copies)
  2. A document stating the family relationship
  3. Proof of family relationship (marriage and children's birth certificates)
  4. Proof of the family member's consistent relationship with the EU citizen
  5. Family members that are not dependants must show proof of a serious medical condition which leaves them completely dependent
  6. Two passport-sized photos
Registration Certificates Validity Period

Residence permits granted for employment purposes (including self-employment) are valid for five years from the date of issue. Registration Certificates issued to family members of EU citizens are valid for two years.
If an employment contract exceeds three months but is less than a year, or in cases of seasonal employment lasting more than three months, a Temporary Registration Certificate may be issued. This is valid only for the expected duration of employment.

Need Professional Advice or help with Residency Administration?
Contact Us!

Your Name:
Your Email Address:
Your Telephone:
Image Verification
Please enter the text from the image:
[ Refresh Image ] [ What's This? ]

Website Content Sources: website & The Cyprus Informer website